When we walk with the Lord, we grow in Him. We start understanding what is right and what is wrong. The Bible says we are being transformed in our thinking and our beliefs (Romans 12:2). Having said that, I believe that we are to try very hard to be our best in this life Romans 12:2 & Matthew 5:48). We shouldn’t be participating in any of the works of the flesh. Remember to him that knows to do good and doesn’t do it, that is sin (James 4:17). We start to learn what the will of God is and isn’t. This happens as we read and study His word and spend time with Him in prayer and praise.
Galatians 5:19-21 NKJV Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
- Adultery defined: voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a person who is not his or her spouse.
- Fornication defined: sexual intercourse between people not married to each other.
- Uncleanness defined: it is a general name for all sexual impurity, in thought, word, or action; and may here design more especially all unnatural lusts
- Lewdness defined: to be lustful.
- Idolatry defined: image worship.
- Sorcery defined: the use of magic, especially black magic.
- Hatred defined: intense dislike or ill will.
- Contentions defined: The meeting of effort by effort, striving against opposition; sometimes physically, as in battle (Deuteronomy 2:9), or with horses (Jeremiah 12:5), sometimes orally (Nehemiah 13:11), sometimes spiritually (Isaiah 57:16).
- Jealousies defined: That passion of peculiar uneasiness which arises from the fear that a rival may rob us of the affection of one whom we love, or the suspicion that he has already done it; or it is the uneasiness which arises from the fear that another does or will enjoy some advantage which we desire for ourselves.
- Outbursts of wrath defined: passion, angry heat.
- Selfish ambition defined: to put one’s own interests before another’s.
- Dissensions defined: usually a disagreement which is violent, producing warm debates or angry words; contention in words; strife; discord; quarrel; breach of friendship and union.
- Heresies defined: A fundamental error in religion, or an error of opinion respecting some fundamental doctrine of religion.
- Envy defined: Sin of jealousy over the blessings and achievements of others.
- Murder defined: To kill, destroy or put an end to. Jesus said murder was hatred for a person.
- Drunkenness defined: An inebriated state in which a person is overwhelmed or overpowered with spirituous liquors, so that his reason is disordered, and he reels or staggers in walking.
- Revelries defined: excessive lack of restraint and lustful indulgence.
We may have went over these in a prior blog, but it is extremely important that we know the Bible. Because we read there that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. We are not perfect and we all make mistakes and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23). What we are not to do is practice (perform or exercise repeatedly or regularly in order to improve or maintain one’s proficiency). There should be a heart change when we get saved. A desire to please the Lord and do what He wants us to do and likewise not do what He doesn’t want us to do.
More and more things that are against the Bible are being socially accepted. They are being normalized. We have to be aware. Jesus said to stay awake, for we don’t know what hour our Lord is coming (Matthew 24:42). We do not want to be practicing any of the sins of the flesh when He comes.
What a blessing to be Your children. We love You and we are loved by You. Thank You for the wonderful relationship that You have with all of Your children. Thank You for loving us while we were still sinners. Help us to do better. We need Your strength to resist the temptations of the flesh. Thank You for gifting us with the ability to choose. We willingly choose Your way in everything. Please continue revealing Your heart to us and mold us into Your image. May everything we do and everything we say be pleasing to You for we ask in Jesus’ name. Amen.
If you do not know Jesus but would like to know more about Him, please read the following blog titled, You Never Let Us Go. God bless. https://thefathersfeet.wordpress.com/2020/01/07/you-never-let-us-go/